Monday, October 12, 2015

Thomas Clark Byrd

Last Sunday, Isaac and I enjoyed a quiet house as the boys were in Tupelo with their cousins. We read, lounged and enjoyed time together, even on bed rest. Around 7:30 PM, the house was quiet and they boys were asleep. I had another bleed and we called in the troops to stay with the boys while we went to the hospital...again. The doctors thought my irritable uterus might be causing the bleed and they decided to put me back on the magnesium. I took this like a death sentence...it was too fresh in my mind. So again, I battled "mag," as it is lovingly referred. The flu like symptoms, being bed ridden, the IVs, no food, etc. Isaac held my hand, read to me and talked me off the ledge many times. By Monday afternoon, neither of us had slept, showered or relaxed in almost 24 hours. Isaac was preparing to go home for a shower and to feed the dog when my contractions picked up (from 2 an hour to every 3-5 minutes) and I had a large, scary bleed. 30 minutes later I was being poked and prodded for THREE IV lines. A slew of doctors and nurses were prepping me for surgery. I was freaking out yet again, and Isaac was talking me off the ledge. Around 5 PM we were in the OR. There were at least 15 people present. Thomas Clark was born weighing almost 3 pounds at 28 weeks, 4 days. He squealed (not cried). I saw a blur of his blonde hair as he was wheeled to the NICU. Then Isaac and I waited and waited for my surgery to be completed. After 2 grueling hours, he was asked to leave to they could put me to sleep. The next thing I know, I wake up in the ICU. They tell me I had placenta accreta, a hysterectomy was completed, and I lost a lot of blood. I hurt all over. Apparently my face looked like a tomato (thankfully I didn't see this). And I began what has seemed like a slow recovery. I learned later that there was a group of friends, siblings, family in the lobby praying for me and for my baby boy during my surgery. I still don't know who was there but thank you. The week since that is a blur of headaches, recovery, and yet in the midst of that sweet time with my siblings, parents. Food and drinks have appeared out of nowhere. My boys have had a blast with cousins and grandparents...they are tired and out of sorts but happy. Thomas is stable and we are so thankful for that. Another post to follow about him. Thank you for praying...for feeding us, for checking on us, for loving us. We are weary in every way yet so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment